Wednesday, October 27, 2010

11/1/10 I love Meetup!

So the other day I explored the meetups in my area and joined a few groups. Wednesday was lunch with the ladies and later that day was hiking. It was fantastic! I love meeting new people. I met such a variety of people and had such a wonderful time. I met a women from Australia, who told me about the nursing opportunities there. I may seriously consider that one! Then on the hike I met a nurse anesthetist who just finished travel nursing and her last assignment was in Connecticut as well. I've also been to a live music lovers group where I heard an artist I've never heard before, Carrie Rodriguez. She's a bit similar to the style of Norah Jones. Bought some cd's and had another great night out. Then hiking again the next day.

If you don't know what meetup is, it's basically a large network or national listing of groups. If there's a group out there that exists or if it doesn't exist yet, but you'd be willing to head it up, meetup will help you do that.

Basically search your zipcode for common interests. It's great for alot of situations but I honestly think almost anyone could find a way to apply it to their life's needs.

Whether you want to promote your business, or socialize and make friends after moving to a new area, or meet people to date without actually doing the online dating scene.

My only tip is not to bring your agenda to the wrong place. Know what the group is or ask, or get a feel for it before you launch your agenda on them unwarranted.

For almost a year, I ran a meetup group that I started. It was fun but frustrating in many ways just getting it started.... but the thing that bothered me more than the work was the innappropriate agendas that others would bring with them.

My group was a foodies group. Hence an interest of some sort in food was necessary. Some people showed just to drum up customers for their business, or some were out to get a date. I have nothing against people wanting to make money or date. Just go find the ones that are for singles or networking..... unless you actually care about food. Some of the people never showed again after they got turned down for their business or a date.

I knew it would be perfect for me as I travel the country. I've found plenty of foodies, women's groups, hiking, live music and card games clubs.

So in a nutshell that's meetup! Check it out.

http://www.meetup.com

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun and I'm glad that you are meeting people out there. I can see where people might want to take advantage of groups like that--marketers walk a fine line between helpful and annoying.

    ReplyDelete