Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Frustration, Thankfulness, and Aging parents

I'm frustrated right now and to top it off today started out depressing, with me crying in the rain while my boyfriend left to drive home to Connecticut. It's moments like this, that made me delay and delay travel nursing. Among many of the excuses I made, one of them was my parents health. My mom is 76 and my dad is 79. He has been the sicker of the 2 over the years and this past few months it seems to be one thing after the next.

In fact he said that to me the other day on the phone in a frustated sigh. "I don't understand why these things keep happening to me?" I answered in my best nurse "ease" explanation. "Well, sometimes these things do happen and that's when you have to be even more careful than ever to be sure that everything that is working right, continues to work at it's best."

My dad fell in the middle of the night last night, and well, here I am 5 hours away. Thankfully there are 8 kids, with many of them in the area there. I just kinda wish I could talk to him, but as I well know there's no patient phone in the icu. So, I'll sit and write until my mom calls after she gets home from visiting him. I am very thankful for my sister and all her help she has given me in the past few weeks for so many different things. She's always been my go to girl. I'm also really thankful that my dad and I have talked several times this past week and that I sent him a get well card the other day.

4 comments:

  1. That must be frustrating for you. I am praying for your dad, and your family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you said the right things to him, and that's all you can do. He may be older, but he's still an adult. And you obviously respect him and his life, so you should be commended. I hope he gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I know it has to be frustrating. I live close to my mom but most of the time, my sister in Chicago has no idea what's going on. I know how important it is to keep her as informed as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, my dad's doing much better. He might even make it to Thanksgiving dinner but if he doesn't then I will just have to go to him. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete