Monday, January 31, 2011

It's Not My Problem





I am not traveling to go to some new job all the time and try to fix them.

There are many times that I come across, inefficiency. I'm not there to fix that. Don't get me wrong, the thought to address it always pops into my head but again I am there as a visitor for 13 weeks. It's the dedicated hard worker in me, that always wants to go the extra mile. I will gladly go the extra mile for a patient but for a facility? No. Honestly even if I'm correct, how in a matter of weeks or days can I really know that they are being inefficient?

I learned after 15 years at the bedside in the same hospital, that it's not my job. That's why managers are managers and charge nurse are charge nurses and supervisors.... It's what makes a really successful charge or supervisor.
It's not worth the hassle. Unless it affects my patient's safety, I will simply do as they wish. I went above and beyond plenty at my job for years about little behind the scenes things, to improve simple efficiency.

I must say, I've learned to embrace this freedom and save myself uneeded aggravation. This isn't the kind of attitude I come to easily. I do struggle with it but, just as anything else you practice, it becomes easier. I come in to work and I abide by their guidelines and rules. I always do things, the way they want it done. Then I go home at the end of the day leaving the problems behind because, well quite frankly, it's not my problem ..................or is it? I am probably being far more efficient by actually just doing my job as they want it done.

I am lucky and unlucky enough to see a totally new crew of workers, styles of management and types of work order every few months. It's fascinating to see the differences in nurse's aids and secretaries and everyone from facility to facility. There seem to be alot of people who just get by at a job doing the bare minimum to keep it yet still stay employed. In fact at times getting rewarded along with everyone else.

Bottom line I think it absolutely takes every individual, whether they're management or whatever the role, to be most efficient Team possible. In medicine your own tasks often require more than one person. Each person must have a clear role and be efficient enough at it. Of course it helps to have an efficient manager but I don't think that a great manager alone is the best foundation. From the Environmental Services to the Dietary to the Physicians and the Volunteers, each person's role is vital.

6 comments:

  1. I work for the government in computer tech support and I find, over and over again, that if I try to speak up and correct the way things are, I get myself in trouble. I'm better off just doing my job and keeping my big mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this perspective - you're right, everything works best when everyone just gets their own work done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Steph! My laptop had a fatal crash and virus, so I am using my boyfriends and not on here so much.

    Megan, thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that, in every profession these days, a person has to fulfill several roles, not just the one specified by his or her profession. I always had a sense of admiration towards medical care workers, because they tend to have the most tasks to do besides their professional ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great post. And honestly I had never looked at it from the perspective you just explained. But your years of experience have taught you well. And it's nice to hear from someone that actually learned and put it to use. Because I do think that many get by with the bare minimum; nice to know you don't.

    I will remember this post in the future when I am in a new situation where I want to fix how others are doing something. Odds are they have been doing it like that for a while and so there is something to me just doing my job to the best of my ability and letting them run it how they see fit. Because like you said, management is in place just for that, to manage.

    ReplyDelete