Monday, November 29, 2010

You say tomatoe and I say toe-ma-toe

There's an annoying commercial on the radio and I thought I would share it with you. They're talking about a caramel latte. The woman corrects the man that It's Car-a-mel not Carmel, stating that "Carmel is a city in Indiana". A person can definitely pronounce it according to it's phonetics and still be correct. Here is the phonetic dictionary pronounciation.




car·a·mel   /ˈkærəməl, -ˌmɛl, ˈkɑrməl/ Show Spelled
[kar-uh-muhl, -mel, kahr-muhl] Show IPA



I can't stand being corrected. It's one thing if I am actually mispronouncing a word, then please please let me know. I hate mispronouncing almost as much as being corrected.





The thing is, more often than not I am corrected for another's personal preferrence of dialect. At least that's how I feel. I am from Philly. It's not a stark Philly accent, but it's obvious with certain words, like "water". I don't care if people point it out and we chat about it, but don't correct me.

I like to think of myself as having good diction. I am very auditory and enjoy reading aloud. I find it almost derogatory and in fact I will not correct another person unless they are actually mispronouncing either.


Do people correct the way you speak? I had once been corrected for mispronouncing "chipotle" and until I did this blog I thought they were correct. It turns out we both were!

3 comments:

  1. Yep. And I'm SOUTHERN, so you can imagine! I would think the caramel thing would be like "You say Potato, I say Po-TOT-o." Although who pronounces it poTOTo anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I mispronounce words, the Mrs. is always the first to let me know. I am cognizant of regional words--when I lived down South there were several words that I had to teach my self to say a certain way, and then completely forget about it when I moved north.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Rhode Islanda. Enough said. LOL

    ReplyDelete