Thursday, January 13, 2011

Saving Lives through vaccination!




Maybe you've heard the claim before, that vaccines are dangerous. Not too long ago I watched a tv program about the claim that vaccines cause autism. This is completely unfounded and false, as this program also reported. Recently on facebook a Physician friend of mine posted a link to a report released this week from Britain.

Study Linking Vaccines to Autism Is "Fraudulent"

The report was of an in depth study proving how the originally claimed study falsified their report and the head of that study recieved financial gains. This doctor lost his medical license in Britain and is now living in the US. Jenny McCarthy is supporting this physician so many people are accepting his claims.

It appears the average person is more willing to believe a celebrity endorsed spokesperson rather than someone backed by the entire medical community. This fake is not only killing children but also an opportunist preying upon the parents of autistic children and regressing the movement to diagnose, cure and spread awareness about Autism.

Sadly the damage is done and irreparable in many cases. Children have lost their lives and many many many more innocent lives will be lost to this monster's selfishness and irresponsibility.

Many people think that if they google, read or hear something, then it is true and accurate. You can never believe just anything. Proper research is so important for this very reason and no one can argue with the shear number of deaths of children from communicable diseases vs the actual number of known vaccine reactions.

How often do you just take something for face value? Do you ever question things that people tell you or even question yourself about beliefs that you always thought were true and one day found out weren't?

12 comments:

  1. I understand your frustration over something like this, Kristina, especially since you are a medical professional. But I hope you'll try to understand the perspective of those not in your profession. We have seen so many times when statements previously presented as absolute fact have later been adjusted, corrected, even recanted, that it makes us leery of taking at face value even those statements made by professionals. Parents of children with autism are understandably grasping at straws, especially those who have had other children after one of their children begins displaying the symptoms of the disorder. If there's ANY chance that the first child's autism was caused by something that they could have avoided, they naturally want to avoid it with the next child. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're believing a celebrity over a medical professional. It just means that they're not taking ANYTHING at face value, no matter WHO says it. They're doing their best, in fear and frustration, to make the wisest choices they can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely correct Linda and I've even seen medical professionals get wrapped up in the emotions of grasping at straws. The real atrocity is what this man did. I honestly believe that with this time of vast information avaialable at our fingertips we need to take a deep a breath as we read.

    I simply wish to urge people to doubt even alittle from both sides ask questions and stay informed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for understanding, Kristina. I didn't want to alienate you, but I felt I had to at least try to put a voice to the other side. I have a great nephew who was initially believed to have developed autism. He was later diagnosed with hyperlexia. But I saw the stress his parents were under as they tried to get help for him and, at the same time, do what they could to protect a younger sibling from the same condition. Thankfully, with therapy, diet, and much love, the child with hyperlexia is now doing quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My point here really was to not only make people aware of this man, who is the very source of these falsehoods but also to make people think for a moment before they jump and drink the cool-aid on any topic. I myself am far from immune to this too. I oftne need to take a moment to stop myself before I getted all hyped up. It's amazing what the human mind will believe and the con artists out there who are ready to take advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, and I heard recently Jenny McCarthy's son, whom she supposedly "cured" of autism, never even had it at all. He had something else?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad this fiction is coming to an end! IT frustrates me to no end when a friend of mine won't have her children immunized because of this load of crap about autism. My answer is always this: "We wiped out small pox through immunization. Wouldn't it be nice to wipe out...ummm...let's see: measles, mumps, rubella..." Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooo...I agree. However, with the autistic thing. My little brother is autistic, and it was after he got his immunization shots that we began to see a change. Now, we are neither 100% for or against it, we just say that it could have played a role. But because researchers have not made the pin-point as of to what causes autism, it's still in the air for us.

    Loved the post, and again, I agree and disagree :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's interesting is the amount of research and great advances in early diagnosis and etiology, and it's been overshadowed for so long because people in general are so distrusting of real medicine and research.

    I understand why, but I just want people to listen to all the options instead of having your mind made up before even walking in the room. It's amazing how much our minds will mirror our emotions even when we don't want them to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember when that claim first came out and thinking that even if it was true, the risk of other diseases would be greater if you didn't get your child vaccinated. The idea never sat right with me. It's sad because I know parents on both sides only want the best for their children. Gathering information and knowledge I think is the best thing a parent can do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whatever the case may be, I do my own research and trust my instincts. I've been sent down the wrong road by doctors a couple of times. The medical profession is not infallible so we simply need to be well equipped to make informed decisions. Great post.. and discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was very interesting for me to read this post. When I lived in Russia, we had no options - we had to be vaccinated. However, I have some doubts about the effectiveness of vaccines - I feel that I cannot be sure of the quality of the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is possible to find out the effectiveness by getting a blood titer drawn. A titer tells you what level of antibodies are active in your immune system. On occassion, for reasons yet unknown or for weak vaccines, people need revaccination.

    ReplyDelete