Monday, February 28, 2011

I would give my Left arm for an Irish potatoe right now


What is an irish potatoe, you ask?

Well, they are only the most delicious thing to happen in the Winter next to the chocolate explosion of Valentine's day until Easter arrives.

Basically it's equal parts

Sugar


Butter


and Cocount flakes


then roll them around in Cinnamon



Apparently they are ONLY a Philadelphia thing :(

I was unaware of this before I started travel nursing last year. Good thing I am going back home for a visit soon :) Although the recipes are really that easy. I have done a few different twists too. One year Starbucks had some left over coconut flavor and they ran a feature drink named after the confection and flavored with coconut and cinnamon. I've recreated that and made a diet desert out of fat free ricotta, unsweetened coconut flakes, cinnamon and splenda. I'm sorry, I don't have a recipe for it. I always just went by taste.

Here's an orignal recipe for these amazing treats.

Ingredients
1/4 cup butter, softened 1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 4 cups confectioners' sugar 2 1/2 cups flaked coconut 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Directions
In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the vanilla and confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Using your hands if necessary, mix in the coconut. Roll into balls or potato shapes, and roll in the cinnamon. Place onto a cookie sheet and chill to set. If desired, roll potatoes in cinnamon again for darker color.

I dare you to try them and eat only one. They're dangerous!!!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. These sound delicious. And a potato-less potato is my favorite kind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of these, but I'd love to try one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm. I'm going to have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it is time to start another blog about recipes :) I seriously want to make this Philadelphia thing. But I assure you it will be messy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, the Mrs. is a fan of those--I avoid chocolate, so she has no competition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds awesome, I'll have to try one! Or maybe a couple.

    ReplyDelete