Wednesday, March 9, 2011

the Face of Happiness has a Posterchild


Gallup has been polling people on a happiness survey. During their polling they found out several factors that seem to dominate the happy people. The happiest people are male, tall, Asian-American, observant Jew who is at least 65 and married, has children, lives in Hawaii, runs his own business and has a household income of more than $120,000 a year.

Then the New York Times searched for one person who fits that description and found him. Personally, I'm certain that there are other people that fit that description. I also think that there are other people who are completely happy and don't fit that description. Either way I think it's great to have good news in the news for once.

He is, Alvin Wong. He is a 5-foot-10, 69-year-old, Chinese-American, Kosher-observing Jew, who’s married with children and lives in Honolulu. He runs his own health care management business and earns more than $120,000 a year.

His key to happiness “my life philosophy is, if you can’t laugh at yourself, life is going to be pretty terrible for you.”

He continued: “This is a practical joke, right?”. He also spoke about waking everyday grateful.

I think alot of people out there suffering through life as if it's all a punishment might be able to learn something from this man's attitude. You don't have to move to Hawaii, if you take some time to laugh at yourself and be grateful :)

11 comments:

  1. I definitely can learn something from him. It's hard not to take everything so serious, that's for sure. I've been to Hawaii, it's hard not to be happy there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An attitude of gratitude goes a long way toward making us happy. I heard a quote once that has stuck in my mind: "Contentment is not found in the accumulation of what we want. Contentment is found in the realization of what we have."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll just say if I made $120,000 a year, I'd be pretty darn happy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can hardly go wrong with gratitude and humour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, sounds like he is well grounded and giving. And that Hawaii thing sure is tempting this time of year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laugh at yourself all the time. I wish to make $120,000 a year just for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does sound look a good philosophy. Of course, the money wouldn't hurt, either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower.
    I invite you to visit my blog and become a follower :-)

    God Bless You :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alvin is interesting, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete